Wednesday 26 October 2016

Simfonica and Musique Concrète...

I’ve had a very interesting email, really appreciative of the “Mother Russia” sample from the new Simfonica “Song Of The Volcanoes” album but saying, and I quote, “I’m still trying to figure out what I could hear on the track”.

I’ve explained to her that on that particular piece, there’s 12-string, bass, keyboards, programmed percussion and voice; but in a sense that’s all a bit academic. It’s the mixing, editing and processing that defines the genre, thus rendering the actual instrumentation virtually unrecognisable.

Whilst I’m happy to go with The Sunday Supplement’s “Kathedral Kosmische” tag (thanks Mark!), the technique is well-recognised from way back, though obviously it’s made easier in the digital age. It has its origins in the Musique Concrète movement of the late 1930s.

OK, I’ve added an additional twist – what I’ve called “cue rhythms” – but in general these are sounds, and this is a music, that should wash over and around you.

My wife calls it “testing”; I think she’s being kind! But one thing’s certainly true; over-analysis of it can do weird things to your head!

Just sharing the thought…


No comments:

Post a Comment