Sunday 14 April 2024

The first review of “The Last Confessions Of A Saboteur”...

I feel I really have to re-post this review, which John Eliot has kindly sent me. It is I know due to be published in print media, but this is John’s take on “The Last Confessions Of A Saboteur”; for which I’m most grateful!
 
***
 
Beau
Confessions of a Saboteur
Recorded and produced by Beau
Available on download April 19th 2024
 
I bought my first LP from Beau in 1972. I’ll admit the reason why, I loved the label. It was very different, unique, a painting of a dandelion! Fortunately, I also loved the album. Between 1969 and 1972 Beau was recording for John Peel’s label Dandelion, which ceased in 1972.
 
Since then, Beau has recorded many discs and interestingly Creation from 1972 has been re-released a number of times, in the UK, Spain and Italy, creating the original album on vinyl – I should frame my copy!
 
Beau now has a new collection of songs, Confessions of a Saboteur. Beau is a songwriter and player of 12 string guitar. He is a wonderful guitarist. I know from experience that the 12 string is not the easiest instrument to play, to keep in tune and give the depth of sound. Beau succeeds here quite superbly. I was sent the cd to listen to and I was somewhat surprised by his voice. Leonard Cohen’s final music was recorded when he was early eighties. Cohen’s voice, whilst still so full of feeling, sounded frail. Beau’s voice, in all honesty here, still in it’s prime! It has a melodic feel to it. No notes are lost, the tune is held and a very original quality of sound. Download at least one song, and you’ll hear what I mean.
 
I am an editor of poetry. I have read a lot of different poetry from people of different abilities. Listening to Dylan, Cohen, their lyrics are very strong, but they are song lyrics, they would not stand as poetry in a collection of poems. The only songwriter I feel writes like a poet is Paul Simon, until I read the lyrics for Beau’s new CD. They are as poetry.
 
For lovers of folk music, quality, and originality I would say this is one for you. Whilst there are those who complain about download sites ‘ripping off’ musicians, there is the benefit of listening, and deciding before making the purchase. For me, Confessions of a Saboteur is a must.




No comments:

Post a Comment